Argyle Chapel, St Helens Road, Swansea 8 Residential Appartments Founded in 1837 By the Presbyterian Church  of Wales, Argyle Chapel was designed by  Alfred Bucknell, a local architect, in the style of  a classical temple and in 1987 the chapel was  designated a Listed Building (Grade II).  The initial design concept was to retain the  sound superstructure of the chapel and to  insert a timber frame to form the flats and  central atrium therefore converting the chapel  whilst minimising the impact on the fine  external fabric. Unfortunately in September 2002 during  construction there was a fire which caused  extensive damage to the chapel. All that was  left standing were the solid masonry walls. A  new concept was required as now the  damaged walls of the chapel required support  and although the plan altered little the new  structure for the flats was designed in in-situ  concrete and concrete block with extensive  reinforcement and repairs to the existing walls.  The stonework to the front elevation was  carefully cleaned of paint and restored and  interventions to the elevations were minimised  to retain the chapels beautiful facades as a key  landmark to the streetscape of St. Helens road  and Argyle Street.
70 Walter Road     Swansea     SA1 4QA     Tel 01792 466060    
Practice Projects Services Location
                                           S  W  A  N  S  E  A
       L  O  N  D  O  N
83 Baker Street    London   W1U 6LA    Tel  02037 553194